While we all know the bad news: Kids are inactive and heavier than ever, the good news is there are more options than ever to hook them into activity. While it's easy to blame that inactivity on pop culture, you also can embrace the so-called enemy and use that same culture, the center of their social existence, to connect to them.
Monitor kids' favorite TV shows, publications and Web sites to find out what's hot and what's not. (But beware, things can change abruptly and regularly.)
A few musts on the culture stop:
- ym girls' magazine
- Sports Illustrated for Kids
- Teen People
- Nickelodeon television and its magazines, including Nick Jr.
- HGTV and TLC: Design divas rule the teen world.
At least for now.
Where to shop:
- Pottery Barn Teen
- American Eagle Outfitters
- Sporting-goods stores: Nike, Adidas, Reebok and the like still set fashion trends